Thursday, September 28, 2006

Tuvan Throat Singing ... um, it's incredible!



So, here we are with the Tuvan Throat Singers that we watched at Dizzy's last night. I can't really explain how incredible it was ... I basically sat in the chair with my mouth wide open the entire night (sometimes I closed my mouth to smile).

If you've never heard of throat singing, it is "a type of singing in which the singer manipulates the harmonic resonances created as air travels from the lungs, past the vocal folds, and out the lips ... throat singing usually refers to several traditional Central Asian styles of overtone singing ... it is usually differentiated from overtone singing by the application of a harsh voice or some constriction in the larynx"
(click here for more info from wikipedia)

And now ... the moment you've all been waiting for ... video from last night's performance! I apologize for the bad quality - the video was taken in poor lighting. Please watch/listen for the following - the incredible outfits the men are wearing (complete with boots!), the men's hairstyles, the incredible hand-crafted instruments, and the high pitched overtones (it will sound like an entirely different instrument ... but it's not! It's their throats!)

Video #1 -- Titled: "Beautiful Horses, Nice Ladies"

Video #2 -- short close up of the men (you can watch their mouths)

Here is one more video if you are still interested

1 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Jimmy T said...

Thanks Jenny. I know I shouldn't be jealous as a Christian, but I'm really jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home