Sunday, September 10, 2006

Love Story = Lame

I took piano lessons as a child and one of the songs I was taught was the theme song from Love Story (a movie from the 70s). I've always wanted to watch the "well-known tear-jerking tragedy" since I learned the song. I went to my neighbors' home this week to borrow some movies and they had Love Story ... I couldn't resist.

I finally sat down to watch the movie this evening and was quite disappointed. The movie is rated PG - which apparently stands for LOTS of swearing, a cheesy first line ("What can you say about a 25 year old girl who died? That she was beautiful, and brilliant? That she loved Mozart, Bach, the Beatles . . . and me?"), no depth of character, an obnoxious woman who was (unfortunately) named Jenny, and a tragic ending.

I also concluded that the line that made the movie famous - "Love means never having to say you're sorry." - makes no sense ... apparently it's not necessary to apologize to the ones you really love.

And the main character, Jenny, is the absolute worst example of how a woman/wife should behave. She curses like a sailor and consistenly makes crude, degrading and obnoxious remarks toward her husband ... like a continual dripping on a very rainy day. To be honest, I had a hard time feeling bad for her when she was on her deathbed.

I guess I've made it clear that the movie is just not worth watching, however, I did find it interesting that this was the last movie filmed inside Harvard yard. Because of this, it is tradition for a group of freshman to dress up in 70s clothing while watching the film each year. I'm not sure how anyone could make it through the entire movie (I actually started fast-forwarding through scenes so I could get to the end and find out how she died!). This movie has nothing on West Side Story!!

1 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger Deanna said...

yes. I agree with you Jenny, it sounds horrible. Like a constant dripping for sure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home