Saturday, March 04, 2006

Last Weekend

Last Friday night, Joy and I went to Point Loma searching for a unique, hole-in-the-wall place to eat dinner. We happened upon Luna Notte's and decided to give it a try. I had an assignment from my nutrition class to try a food I had not eaten before ... so, I tried the veal parmigiana (I know I have had veal before, but I can't remember when or what it tasted like). To be honest, we were not impressed with the restaurant - the food was very expensive, and very bland and the service poor. But, the best part about dinner was making jokes about how I was eating veal with Veale (Joy won't even try veal because of her last name!)

Blurry photo of Luna Notte


After dinner, we found a quiet street to park and stargaze
(we wanted to tryout my new sunroof) The sky was SO beautiful - and we could watch the waves crashing and hear the seals nearby.




We then decided it was time to go to La Jolla to find some ice cream and walk the town. We experienced one of those "special" moments when you pray for a parking spot and instantly one pops up right in front of you ... and when you get out of the car you find the ice cream shop is right in front of the parking space ... it was a miracle! (and the ice cream was delectible) Then we walked the town - we went through a Dr. Seuss gallery and eventually stumbled upon "The Ancient Mariner," a store with the coolest store clerk in all the world (check out his picture!)



The shop sold things pertaining to the sea (mostly ships/boats). He told us that many of the items had been collected by him over the years (rifles from the 1800s and old lanterns from ships). You could tell that he really loved his life ... I love people like that! ... he found so much pleasure in working in his little shop. While we were there, Joy had her eye on a globe (one that she has wanted to buy for years) so she ecstatically made her big purchase and we were on our way home ...
but not before taking our picture in pirate hats.






After our adventures in La Jolla, I had an incredible urge to run through a sprinkler or roll down a big grassy hill (does that ever happen to you?) ... we met Nicole at the park and went searching for a hill. We ran around the park, went down the slide and laughed a lot (we laughed SO hard that Nicole barely made it home with dry pants). However, we were not successful in finding our grassy hill. Oh well - next time.





When we were back in the car, I showed Joy the chapstick I purchased last week - it said it was "for sun and snow" so I thought it would be perfect to wear in our sunny San Diego weather ... I was wrong.

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jon A. Owens said...

I love that "The Ancient Mariner" store! Back in our B.C. (before children) days, me and Jackie spent a lot of time wandering Prospect Street. I used to thoroughly enjoy wandering into that store and browsing around -- my favorite part was the back of the store, where they play the Sounds of the Sea music. But I couldn't spend too much time back there, or I would start feeling sea-sick...

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Ha! My parents call it their "B.C. Days" too!

Jon, I really enjoyed the music in the back too. One part of the store has a wooden wall and when you are standing next to it you feel like you've really stepped onto a ship.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home