Monday, October 17, 2005

A Riddle

My math teacher gave us a riddle to figure out this evening and no one in the class was able to come up with the right answer . . .

My teacher, Bob, was downtown just last week. While he was walking along the sidewalk he noticed a nearby homeless man who was picking up cigar butts off the ground. After watching him pick up several handfuls, my curious teacher approached the man and asked what he was doing. The man claimed that he started collecting cigar butts when he discovered that he could reroll five butts together to make a whole cigar. The man then counted out the 30 butts that he collected that day.
How many whole cigars was he able to make from the butts?


The answer is now in the comments section.

5 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger joy said...

I'm guessing the answer isn't what seems most obvious if an entire class couldn't figure it out...

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the death rate for cigar smokers is the same as it is for everyone else - it's a pretty likely occurance.

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - good one. It's been so long since I've heard a new riddle. It took me a while but I eventually got it! Thanks Jenny. By the way, sweet blog. No, I mean sweet. like a donut. um, doughnut. um, read my sister's blog, you'll understand.

Nic

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

THE ANSWER IS SIX

He makes five whole cigars with the 30 butts he collected and then he smokes five of those cigars to make one more = six.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

So, Nic just pointed out how poor of a math student I really am ... the answer is not six but SEVEN.

Haha ... I can't count.
He makes SIX cigars with the 30 butts and then smokes five to make one more = SEVEN, SEVEN, SEVEN.

Sorry :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home